Penelope Basset

Monday, July 14, 2008

Gift from somewhere, someone, somehow...




I don't remember planting hollyhocks, or ever being able to grow them before this year.
When I saw the large leaves coming up in my flowerbed, I almost pulled them out, just another darned pumpkin.
But I hate to pull out any survivors or opportunists that show up in my garden unless I know for certain that they are nasty weeds.
So I let it go a bit longer. It confused me because it grew upright, instead of spreading out and smothering the rest of my plants in the bed.
It took about two months, but I finally looked at the plant,and asked, Hollyhock??
Son of a Gun....
Then I had to wait for another two weeks for the tight buds to finally begin to open. I was sure that they were going to be white because there was not a bit of color other than green around the edges of the bud.
Finally last Friday, I looked out my kitchen window, and saw these crimson beauties swaying in the wind. Serendipity?? Bird poop flowers? A gift from Above?? Don't know, but they sure are pretty, aren't they?

2 Comments:

At July 15, 2008 at 5:20 AM , Blogger The Queen of Fifty Cents said...

These are gorgeous! Gives you new respect for bird poop, huh. I'll trade you some pale pink hollyhock seeds for some of these!

 
At July 15, 2008 at 8:54 PM , Blogger canngil said...

That's a deal! I will have watch for my guys to go to seed and do the harvest thing.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home